Skip to main content

Community Radio Merchandising: A Potentially Cool Innovation

Recently, KOPN community radio launched its first of what amounts to a new marketing program. It is pretty innovative and we honestly have no idea if it will be a good idea or not, but there is almost no risk and it could be pretty cool.

Here's why we decided to do it:
  • could increase sales
  • could generate media coverage
  • provides good reasons to communicate over social media
  • the idea will appeal to a large portion of our membership and audience
  • it contributes to our brand as a world contributor and sets us apart in that way, in line with our mission
  • no significant risk or cost

To explain the idea, here is the press release we sent. Wish us luck!



FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 28, 2017
CONTACT: SEAN SPENCE
sean@kopn.org; 573-823-1308


KOPN WILL LOAN STORE PROFITS TO DEVELOPING WORLD ENTREPRENEURS

Local radio station will use the Kiva.org online platform to make loans around the world

(Columbia, MO) KOPN – Columbia, Missouri’s community radio station – announced today that it will use profits from its online store to make loans to developing world entrepreneurs, using technology and loan processing systems provided by online lender Kiva.org. This change is effective immediately and will apply to all merchandise sales from the site (www.kopn.org/store/).

“We launched the store a few months ago and have been thinking about innovative ways to both support our non-profit efforts and benefit others throughout the world,” KOPN board president Dan Hemmelgarn said. “Kiva.org makes it very easy to leverage the relatively small amounts of money we make from the store to significantly impact the lives of those who really need our help. Thanks to Kiva.org, we can make the loans, and get most or all of the money back to put into our operations and expansion.”

KOPN provided this explanation of the Kiva.org service, from the Kiva.org website.
Kiva is an international nonprofit, founded in 2005 and based in San Francisco, with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. We celebrate and support people looking to create a better future for themselves, their families and their communities. By lending as little as $25 on Kiva, anyone can help a borrower start or grow a business, go to school, access clean energy or realize their potential. For some, it’s a matter of survival, for others it’s the fuel for a life-long ambition. 100% of every dollar you lend on Kiva goes to funding loans. Kiva covers costs primarily through optional donations, as well as through support from grants and sponsors.

“KOPN’s mission is to make our community and our world a better place,” KOPN general manager Sean Spence said. “Using our store in this way allows us to work with our members and others to make a difference for people who really need it, while supporting KOPN at the same time.”

In the coming weeks and months, KOPN plans to dramatically increase the variety of KOPN-branded merchandise available through its store in an effort to grow the program.

On the air since 1973, KOPN is Columbia’s community radio station, offering in-depth news, diverse talk, and music of the world. As a community radio station, KOPN is a hub of community activity and discussion, constantly seeking new ways to bring the community together and make it better. KOPN is available throughout Mid-Missouri on the radio at 89.5, and throughout the world via online streaming at www.kopn.org.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things I Liked About My First Day as KOPN Community Radio General Manager

Today was my first day as general manager at KOPN community radio and I was pretty excited about it. I really do think I have found a professional home where I can make a difference and where we can be a leading force for good in the community. Here are 10 things I liked about my first day. The music collection is massive and diverse. I had never seen the whole thing before, and it kind of freaked me out. Volunteers were in and out of the office all day (even when I arrived at about 7:00 am). The volunteers all had time to talk with me and share what they thought I should know on my first day, what was important to them. One volunteer, Rhett, gave me a great idea and now I am planning an informal coffee where I will sit in a coffee shop and anyone in the KOPN family is welcome to come hang out with me and help build the KOPN community. Interactions throughout the entire day reinforced the whole "KOPN is a community" idea. Great meeting with board president Dan Hemmel

Ugh. Apparently, Sometimes Radio Stations Just Stop Working

This was kind of a tough week. Not only did the station go off-air, it happened twice, for two totally different reasons (and this is not something that happens frequently). This story starts at 3:45 AM, when my phone first rang. Honestly, I mostly ignored it and fully intended to go back to sleep, but I am kind of an insomniac, so I found myself getting out of bed. Once in my living room, I checked to see who had called and soon found myself talking to one of our long time show hosts, Lee, who told me, "Sean, the station is off the air." Lee explained that the station had stopped broadcasting a few minutes earlier, he had tried a few things to reset it, those things had not worked, and now we had to get serious about figuring it out. Roughly 30 minutes from the time the phone first rang, I was at the station, doing my best to make the situation better, rather than worse (did I mention I am not a tech guy?). My first call was to Jay, our technology and facilities mana