Skip to main content

10 Things KOPN Should Expect in the Coming Months/Years

As KOPN's new general manager, you can guess that I am thinking a lot -- and asking for a lot of opinions -- about what our future should hold. What follows are some of the key things on my list right now. I would love to hear what you think (and that includes where you disagree with me!). 
: )


1.              Financially successful within 12 months – Thanks to Tao and the board, we are stable today (with no overdue bills, no debt, and a few months worth of money in the bank); within 12 months, I believe we will have a steady income and at least a six-month cushion in our account.
2.              Improved radio engineering and technology program – Today, we have incredible volunteers who help when they can and where they can. They really are amazing. Moving forward, we will focus on upgrading our technology and a team organization that better prepares us for emergencies, with a focus on taking everything to a higher level.
3.              More ongoing, changing reasons for people to visit and interact with the website – For example, in the coming months we will launch the most comprehensive community calendar in town, filling a void with something Columbia needs (want to volunteer to help with that?!?).
4.              More volunteer programmer training and opportunities – I officially can’t count the number of programmers who have now told me they would have liked to have had more training. Our programmers are awesome, but we can always be better, and we can fix this.
5.              Accessibility for people with disabilities – It should concern all of us that we are a community radio station and our building is not accessible for people with mobility issues. Even staying in the building through our current three-year lease, it looks like there are things we can do. Stay tuned.
6.              Community events that expose more people to KOPN and provide greater interaction – Look for some very cool things in the coming months and years. There was a time in our history when KOPN had great community festivals and events; we will become known for that again.
7.              Greater transparency for membership – For example, it has been years since the general manager has provided a written annual report at the annual meeting; we will have one this year so people can study it, keep it, and read it if they can not attend. Also, this list is an example of sharing what is on my mind; there will be a lot more examples.
8.              An endowment fund – As we reach financial stability/relative prosperity, it will open the door to long term investment planning that will make us stronger and more able to contribute to the community.
9.              A national podcast network – We have wonderful podcast production technology – again, thanks to our incredible tech/engineering volunteers – and it is within our power to create even more great Columbia content and share it with the world.
10.           More of our shows with national distribution – A few of our shows are getting pretty good play in other parts of the country. We can and will see more of this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things I Liked About My First Day as KOPN Community Radio General Manager

Today was my first day as general manager at KOPN community radio and I was pretty excited about it. I really do think I have found a professional home where I can make a difference and where we can be a leading force for good in the community. Here are 10 things I liked about my first day. The music collection is massive and diverse. I had never seen the whole thing before, and it kind of freaked me out. Volunteers were in and out of the office all day (even when I arrived at about 7:00 am). The volunteers all had time to talk with me and share what they thought I should know on my first day, what was important to them. One volunteer, Rhett, gave me a great idea and now I am planning an informal coffee where I will sit in a coffee shop and anyone in the KOPN family is welcome to come hang out with me and help build the KOPN community. Interactions throughout the entire day reinforced the whole "KOPN is a community" idea. Great meeting with board president Dan Hemmel

Ugh. Apparently, Sometimes Radio Stations Just Stop Working

This was kind of a tough week. Not only did the station go off-air, it happened twice, for two totally different reasons (and this is not something that happens frequently). This story starts at 3:45 AM, when my phone first rang. Honestly, I mostly ignored it and fully intended to go back to sleep, but I am kind of an insomniac, so I found myself getting out of bed. Once in my living room, I checked to see who had called and soon found myself talking to one of our long time show hosts, Lee, who told me, "Sean, the station is off the air." Lee explained that the station had stopped broadcasting a few minutes earlier, he had tried a few things to reset it, those things had not worked, and now we had to get serious about figuring it out. Roughly 30 minutes from the time the phone first rang, I was at the station, doing my best to make the situation better, rather than worse (did I mention I am not a tech guy?). My first call was to Jay, our technology and facilities mana

Community Radio Merchandising: A Potentially Cool Innovation

Recently, KOPN community radio launched its first of what amounts to a new marketing program. It is pretty innovative and we honestly have no idea if it will be a good idea or not, but there is almost no risk and it could be pretty cool. Here's why we decided to do it: could increase sales could generate media coverage provides good reasons to communicate over social media the idea will appeal to a large portion of our membership and audience it contributes to our brand as a world contributor and sets us apart in that way, in line with our mission no significant risk or cost To explain the idea, here is the press release we sent. Wish us luck! FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE THURSDAY, DECEMBER 28, 2017 CONTACT: SEAN SPENCE sean@kopn.org; 573-823-1308 KOPN WILL LOAN STORE PROFITS TO DEVELOPING WORLD ENTREPRENEURS Local radio station will use the Kiva.org online platform to make loans around the world (Columbia, MO) KOPN